French (no.2) – An XI Cuirassier Heavy Cavalry Sword Grand Armée

£1,850.00

SKU: 208 Categories: ,

Description

French (no.2) – An XI Cuirassier Heavy Cavalry Sword Grand Armée

Picture63 Picture64

Cuirassiers sword model An XI– Imperial Manufactuary Klingenthal 1813.

“The cuirassiers weapon is the queen of movements and its usefulness is before , during and after the battle”
Napoléon Bonaparte

Picture66

The role of the cuirassiers cavalry was to be in reserve during the battle, they waited to disrupt the adversaries ranks at the right time – It’s the reason why Napoleon was furious against general Ney to have engaged the cuirassiers two hours too early in the battle of Waterloo.
Cuirassiers with the Carabineers had a similar role; they were called reserve or heavy cavalry.
The idea of creating a heavy breaking cavalry was born in the brain of the first Consul after the bat
tle of Marengo. Having observed the efficiency of General Kellermann cavalry, cutting the Austrian
infantry in half – Bonaparte understood the important potential of a mass of cavalry charging at the
right time.

French – An XI Cuirassier Heavy Cavalry Sword Grand Armée
Cuirassiers sword model An XI– Imperial Manufactuary Klingenthal 1813.
An emblematic sword of the Napoleonic period, for the tall and fierce cuirassier of the Napoléon Grande Armée
In 1810, it was included in the new contract between the French government and Coulaux that the name of the entrepreneur was now replaced with the month and date of fabrication.
Mf ture Imp ale du Klingenthal Oct 1813 – Engraved along top tang in contemporary engraving.. 33 ½ inch blade/ excellent condition.

Picture69
This means that the Sword was made at the Imperial Factory in Klingenthal and as Napoleon was defeated in October 1813, it is unlikely the sword saw action till the return of Napoleon to France and the final battles in Belgium, resulting in the Battle of Waterloo.
A very rare sword, being of Imperial Manufacture, rather than the Imported one’s from Germany.
The Markings…

Blade with the correct inspector “poinçons” (inspection marks) of Controler Jean-Georges Bick and François Louis Lobstein (see: Klingenthal Markings and Inspector Markings).

Picture68
The J.Bisch inspection mark can be seen next to the Klingenthau hilt inspector no.405

Picture67

The village is in fact the name “Klingenthal” (Valley of the blades) to Manufacture knives, born in the 18th century. Indeed, until this time, France did not possess this kind of industry. It imported its knives from Solingen, Germany (Rhineland) with the risk of inevitable difficulties in case of war. This was, in short, the origin of the Manufacture Royale and locality Klingenthal, became the well-known result. This Iieu was chosen for the abundance of its forests and its particularly pure and fresh water.
It is this combined with the scabbard rack numbers, which go to prove this truly is a XIII Cuirassier’s Sabre possibly taken from a fallen French cavalryman by British troops at Waterloo in 1815.
In 1763 the Duke of Choiseul, Minister of War of King Louis XV decided to renovate the Manufacture. At that time, the village had 600 inhabitants and the Manufacture employed 200 workers. The campaigns of Napoleon and those of Napoleon 1st – Emperor in 1804 – was a boon to the “Imperial Manufactory” Klingenthal where several hundred workers found a very well paid job.
Prince Joseph Bonaparte came to visit Klingenthal 30 May 1805 and, according to tradition, lodged at the Castle. After the defeat of Napoleon at Leipzig in October 1813, Alsace was occupied by the Allies and all activity ceased – the manufactury was re-started after the return of the Bourbons, following the defeat of Napoleon in 1815.